Singapore envisages to becoming a "Global Schoolhouse" offering a diverse and distinctive mix of educational services in a safe, cosmopolitan and comfortable environment. Singapore is the premier education hub in Asia. Driven by excellence, Singapore education offers a broad base curriculum and global perspective to equip students with the relevant qualification and training that serves as a springboard to a brighter future. The island's strong reputation for quality education has drawn the world's top institutions to set up campuses in Singapore. Unique is the word that best captures Singapore, a dynamic city rich in contrast and colour where you'll find a harmonious blend of culture, cuisine, arts and architecture. A bridge between the East and the West for centuries, Singapore is located in the heart of fascinating Southeast Asia, continues to embrace tradition and modernity today.
Why Study in Singapore
• HUB OF EDUCATION EXCELLENCE
Singapore is a premier education hub which offers students an international perspective and diversity of options. In an environment that is inspiring and conducive to education, Singapore provides high quality of teaching and research. From an internationally recognized public school system, to world class universities, Singapore ensures a comprehensive education environment. More than 16 leading foreign universities have also set up centres of excellence in education and research in Singapore. Quality private education organizations add further diversity to the nation's education landscape.
• AFFORDABLE QUALITY EDUCATION Tuition fees are affordable and the cost of living in Singapore is still significantly lower than of many developed countries. With Singapore's tradition of meritocracy talented students who need financial assistance can find the help they need in form of scholarships, bursaries and study loans?
• INFRASTRUCTURE AND ACCESSIBILITY Singapore is well connected via sea, air and telecommunications to all parts of the world. It is fairly close to India encouraging students to visit home during every academic break.
• GLOBAL BUSSINESS HUB Singapore is consistently acknowledged to be a global business hub with its developed infrastructure, political stability and open business policy. More than 7000 Multinational Corporations (MNC) alongside 1,00,000 small and medium enterprises (SME) have set up their base in Singapore, with many choosing Singapore as their regional hub and launch pad to dynamic markets of Asia. Singapore offers limitless career and networking possibilities to global citizens keen to apply their talents to the opportunities that can be found there.
• VIBRANT AND COSMOPOLITAN LIFESTYLE Singapore may seem like a small dot on the world map, but the island state bustles all over with attractions and activities. The nation's rich multicultural heritage is highlighted through the various ethnic groups (Chinese, Malays, Indians, Eurasians) living together harmoniously. Singapore's high standard of living is also something that students can be assured of. Singapore's quality of life surpassed that of London or New York.
Singapore Education is a multi-government agency initiative launched by the Singapore Government in 2003 to establish and promote Singapore as a premier education hub and help international students make an informed decision on studying in Singapore. This initiative is led by the Singapore Economic Development Board and supported by the Singapore Tourism Board, SPRING Singapore, International Enterprise Singapore and the Ministry of Education.
Education Excellence Framework
To ensure that the private schools in Singapore safeguard student's interests and welfare through high quality and regulatory standards, Singapore has put in place an Education Excellence Framework, consisting of two key initiatives:
• The Edu Trust certification scheme is a voluntary certification scheme for private education institutions in Singapore administered by the Council for Private Education, a statutory board under the Ministry of Education. It will replace the Case Trust for Education and the Singapore Quality Class for Private Educational Organisations (SQC for PEOs) schemes administered by the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) and SPRING Singapore respectively.
• The scheme provides a means for better private education institutions to differentiate themselves as having achieved higher standards in key areas of management and provision of educational services.
• While the Edu Trust certification scheme is voluntary, it is one of the prerequisites which PEIs that enrol international students must meet to qualify for the issue of Student Passes, as stipulated by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). A PEI must be Edu Trust-certified in order to enrol international students. The Council of Private Education (CPE) assesses and awards Edu Trust to Private Education Institutions.
• Singapore Quality Class for Private Education Organisations (SQC_PEO) is administered by SPRING Singapore. The SQC_PEO scheme serves as the industry standard for organisation excellence in the Private Education sector.
PRE – TERTIARY EDUCATION
• JUNIOR COLLEGES: Indian student who have completed class 10th may apply for the entry to a junior college for the two-year pre-university course, leading to the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education 'Advanced' (GCE'A) level examination.
• ALTERNATIVE CURRICULA AND QUALIFICATIONS: Singapore has also a wide choice of International School that offer a curriculum such as International Baccalaureate (IB), which are also internationally recognised. Several student from India choose to study the IB curriculum in Singapore as the costs are not too much higher than in India.
• POLYTECHNICS: Singapore's Polytechnics offer broad - based training for students inclined towards practice-oriented studies at the diploma level, across a broad span of disciplines. Singapore polytechnics maintain close links with business and industry, and offer students many opportunities for work and industrial attachments. The Polytechnics also offer an established academic pathwayfor students wishing to pursue higher studies, with advanced standing arrangements with many leading local and foreign Universities.
• PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES: Singapore has three local universities offering internationally recognised Undergraduate and Postgraduate degree programmes. They offer research and scholarship opportunities at the postgraduate level in various disciplines.
• INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITIES: Singapore's vibrant education landscape has attracted many of the world's premier foreign universities to establish their presence in Singapore. These leading foreign universities have either set up a physical campus or have joint collaborations / programmes with local Universities.
PRIVATE EDUCATION ORGANISATIONS
In Singapore a vibrant variety of private schools offer a broad range of programmes. There are private commercial, IT, Fine Arts and language schools' in Singapore. The courses offered range from certificate to postgraduate levels. Through partnership with renowned international universities from various countries such as Australia, UK and USA, private schools offer students the opportunity to attain international certification in Singapore's comfortable and affordable environment. There are also foreign Specialised Institutes in Singapore that have either set up campuses here or have tie ups with the local polytechnics to offer cutting – edge programmes in niche areas.
There are three main types of challenging graduate programmes in the Public Universities: Doctoral (Ph.D.), Masters' and the Graduate diploma. Doctoral: All doctoral programmes are primarily research based. Duration may range from 3 years to 5 years. Students can take admission for PhD course after completion of their master's degree. PhD students need to submit a research proposal. Student need to appear for GRE/GMAT & TOEFL/IELTS exams for admissions. Masters: Master degree programmes are primarily designed to prepare students for practice of profession. The duration of graduate courses may range from one year to two years depending upon the university. The various Master degree are MA, MS, MBA, MFA etc. Generally, an applicant must have at least a good bachelor'sdegree and two years' work experience. In addition, an applicant whose native language or medium of instruction for the bachelor's degree is not English must have a good TOEFL score or IELTS score. Applicant applying for admission in engineering, computer science, science should also preferably have good GRE scores. Those applying for business-related courses should have obtained either GRE or GMAT scores. Graduate Diploma: Is offered as a terminal qualification and provides limited professional training in a specific niche. The Graduate diploma is often favoured by those students who seek additional exposure to an area of interest. It is one year full time course of study for graduates.
Under Graduate Study in Singapore's Public University
BACHELORS DEGREE: Bachelor's degree programmes are offered in almost every subject ranging from the pure science, economics to engineering, architecture and business management. Admission in the Public University are competitive, primarily based on academic profile. International students interested in pursuing undergraduate studies in Public University must have completed at least 12 years of general education in order to be considered for admission. The duration of the bachelor's course is 3 years to 4 years. Some of the programmes require SAT for Undergraduate programmes but this differs with each university. Submission of TOEFL and IELTS scores are optional. Application to undergraduate programmes is done online there is no paper application form.
The Private Institutes offers degree in partnership with popular universities from countries such as United States, the United Kingdom and Australia. These universities confer the degree and certification. Hence, private institutes provide students with the opportunity to attain qualifications from these foreign universities whilst studying in Singapore's affordable and comfortable environment. For Postgraduate studies in Private Institutes admission requirements vary from programme to programme. The duration for Master in private institutes may range from 12 months to 16 months. The GMAT, GRE Scores are not compulsory for admission.
The Private Institutes offer bachelor's degree programmes in almost every subject. The duration of the bachelor's course is 3 years to 4 years. The admission requirements vary from programme to programme. The SAT, TOEFL and IELTS are not compulsory for admission. The students completed their 12th or 11th Std. or equivalent to Singapore a level can apply for the bachelor degree in Private institutes.
Diploma in Government Polytechnics in Singapore
A Polytechnics education is a popular route in Singapore for student inclined towards practise-oriented studies at the diploma level. They offer a wide range of courses such as Engineering, Business Studies, Mass Communication, Design and Info-Communications. Specialised courses such as Optometry, Marine Engineering, Nautical Studies, Nursing, Early Childhood Education and Film are also available for those who wish to forge a specific career path. All courses are conducted in the English medium and follow a credit accumulation modular system that allows students to pursue and complete their courses at their own pace. Under the system, students will take a prescribed set of modules and accumulate credit units for those modules they have passed. Modules are assessed immediately upon completion of the required academic work in a semester. It takes 3 years to complete a full-time diploma course. Students that have completed class 10 or 12 in India, are eligible for polytechnic courses.
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP)
The International Baccalaureate diploma is a well-balanced programme steering a middle course between narrow, highly specialised programmes such as the GCE A levels and those which require study in many subjects to the detriment of depth of inquiry. The IB diploma is accepted as a university entrance qualification around the world and is particularly welcomed by prestigious institutions like Cambridge and Oxford in the UK or Harvard and Princeton in US. Many universities offer advanced placement or course credit to students with strong IB results. All of Singapore's' university accept the IB diploma as an entrance qualification. The international students who have successfully completed secondary education or education level equivalent Singapore secondary education in their home countries can apply. Applicants for admission must take a Placement Test or interviewed for eligibility.
Student who have completed class 10 or 12 in India, are eligible for polytechnic courses. Class 12 student are eligible to apply for undergraduate programmes at local universities. For undergraduate programmes admission is as per the entry requirements for each programme. The criteria for entry Singapore's public institutes are generally quite high and competitive. International students can also apply to Private Education Organisations (PEOs), which offer courses from certificate to postgraduate levels. PEOs conduct their own admission and applicants should check the application procedure with the PEO directly or seek advice from Certified Singapore Education Specialists.
The main intake for the Government University is Aug and few courses have Feb intake. The Polytechnics have April / September intake, and the Private Education Organisation have multiple intake (Jan/ Feb/July/Aug/Sep/Oct/etc.)
National University of Singapore
Application process varies between Institutes you can check with the Institute or University of your choice or you can contact us and our counselors will help you with the process.
NO, IELTS/TOEFL is not mandatory in Singapore. A letter from your last institution stating that your education was in English is required.
Yes some of the Institutes do have application fee . In some cases you can avail the fee waivers which are available with us.
You should start your application process at least 6-8 months prior to the commencement.
You can finish your Bachelors in 2 years but some of the courses have minimum duration of 3-4 years as well. Masters degree you can finish in 1 -1.5 years. Because of less breaks during your study you will be able to finish early as compare to other countries.
Yes if you are studying in Govt Universities of Singapore you can work part time. Students studying in private institutes cannot work part time. Paid Internships options are available while studying and after finish the study in Singapore.
The counselors at Shri Mahalaxmi Academy will be able to guide you about the same.
Main Intakes are Feb and July however some colleges may offer Sept/Nov intakes as well.