France is the world's fifth largest economy and the second largest exporter of services. It has many multinational companies. It's one of the leading providers of international education. France enjoys marvellous cultural heritage with high standard of living as well as a high public and private education level. Its healthcare system is rated as the best in the world and life expectancies is the 2nd best in the world. It is a land of Art & Culture with many famous museums to visit. Nearly 2,90,000 international students study in France every year. It's growing in popularity among Indian students. It is also not necessary to know French for post graduate studies as there are several programs being taught in English. France devotes almost 20% of its annual national budget to education and many of its elite schools figure in international rankings. Scientific research plays an important role in France.
Worldwide Rankings of France.
• 4th for patents.
• 5th for scientific publications.
• 5th for hosting international researchers.
• 5th for research investment for developing countries
WHY STUDY IN FRANCE HUB OF EDUCATION
•One of the most sought after study abroad destinations.
•Excellent career opportunities internationally after graduation.
•Well known for its Elite "Grande Ecole"
• The Living cost of France is lower than most of the European capitals.
• Government provides Finanacial help for accomodation (Upto 1/3rd for successful students)
• Living in France is relatively cheaper compared to U.K
• Easy to get lost in sights & sounds of French jet set & haute couture lifestyle.
LEARNING FRENCH IS NOT ESSENTIAL :
• French Grande Ecoles are increasingly using English as medium of Instructions.
• For, students lacking proficiency in French, it is usually taught as a subject in their curriculum during the course time.
RICH IN ART AND CULTURE
• France is one the most traditionally rich countries in Europe with rich flavour of art and tradition.
• France is number 1 tourist destination in the world.
• France is home to many famous paintings like Monet.
• French Architecture is unparalleled in the world with its unique style.(Eg: Eiffel Tower).
EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
• In Information Technology sector, France ranks second in Europe and fourth in the world.
• France is in forefront of technological progress in several fields .
• France is responsible for monitoring and technical management of the European space programAriane.
In France, kids start school very early, school starts of the age of 3 (for almost 100%) and children spend 3 years in kindergarten, schooling is compulsory until age 16.
In France, secondary education is offered in two stages, namely, BEPC (Based Essais de La Petite Ceinture) and Baccalaureate. BEPC is equivalent to the 10th Std. in Indian & encompasses secondary school education from 11 to 15 year of age.
Higher secondary education from 15 to 18 years of age rulminates in a diploma known as the Baccalaureate which is essentially the same as the 12th std. in India. The Baccalaureate which is essentially the same as the 12th Std. in India. The Baccalaureate is also known as Lycees.
There are about 90 public Universities spread throughout the country. They cover the entire range of academic disciplines from the sciences, including Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology to Technology, covering Computer Science, Engineering, Material Science and Electrical Engineering through to Literature, Language, Arts, Social Science, Law, Economics, Management, Health, Sports and more.
The Grande ecoles are uniquely French institutions, created in the early 19th century in parallel to the university system; they are extremely selective and offer education of a very high standard. There are over 300 Grande Ecoles in France covering different subject areas. The fee structure can sometimes be higher but students are benefited from smaller class sizes, better support systems and excellent networks (alumini companies and international partners). These can be either Public or Private Institutions or part of both.
MBA, IT, Engineering, Fashion, Art and Design English requirement + Eligibility IELTS with score of band 6 is mandatory to secure the admission in France.
RANKING AND ACCREDIATION
There are several ranking which are published by reputable newspaper and specialised press. The Grande Ecole always comes out of top. They are also highly accredited institutions.
1. The UK financial Times has ranked the Best Business schools in Europe, X of them are French Grande Ecoles.
2. For example the best Grande Ecole Business Schools are accredited by EQUIS,AMBA,AACSB( international accreditations). They are also approved by the government. The best Grande Ecole Engineering Schools are accredited by the French Board of Engineering Degrees. Member of the CGE (French Conference of top management and engineering Schools) and the CDEFI (Conference of Directors of French Engineering Schools)awarded the EURACE label.
• All the applicants must submit certified true copies of relevant documents along with the application form. They must bring originals to Edwise offices also.
• The school which you have applied will decide on the recognition of your academic background and will decide at which level you can qualify to enter.
• If the application is successful you will receive a conditional/confirmation offer letter from them which can be used for a long stay student resident visa.
• You need to complete Registration and pay the first instalment fees and send it to the School. The School will send you details on how to apply for accommodation later on.
• The applicant needs to take an appointment with the French embassy for a visa interview and to verify the financial documents along with the visa documents at the Embassy of France or the consulates in Mumbai.
• Applicants must complete the online procedure. They will find details about this at campusfrance.org and on the India CF page.
• After considering the complete application, approval is given by the French Embassy within 48 hrs.
• After the visa approval the student can book their tickets.
The major intake in France is September and February.
TUITION FEES (1Euro = ` 73.69 at the time of print)
University Residences: Located on campus or in town, run by CROUS(Centre Reginaux des oeuvres universities et sociale) these rooms are with equipped all the necessary facilities and the rent is between 250 to 400 Euros.
Private student Residences: They are found in most of the major cities in France and this concept has been increasing lately. Rental for the same being 800-1000 Euros in Paris and 500-800 euros in the other cities. It is less common for students to share flat in France. Landlords will often ask a guarantor.
* An International student who is enrolled in a French institution for 1 yr and more gets a student residency permit for studying in France and they can apply for government help for their housing allowances which is also known as CAF. This process takes around 1 month and this covers up to 1/3rd of housing allowance for international students.
International students who are under 28 years of age enrolled in a educational institution for a program of at least 3 months duration are enrolled in the student segment of the National Health Insurance Plan and also above 28 years they have similar process). An International student must join the social security system most take out an additional cover. In France, the annual cost of such policies runs from Euro 150 to Euro 550.On average social security covers about 70% of the expenses, related to an illness. Other advantage is the Social Securities Scheme for students, which reimburses healthcare expenses against a modest basic payment it was 207 Euros in 2012.
Working in France during your studies:
•International students are entitled to work part time upto 20 hours a week off campus. In France there is a guaranteed minimum salary which is € 9.61 gross per hour.
Working in France after your studies
• Students who have earned a Master's Degree or equivalent from a state – recognized institutions may apply for one -time ,nonrenewable temporary residency authorization.
• The students are eligible to apply for Temporary authorization residency permit, which is valid upto 12 months after the date of expiry of student residency permit.
• This permit authorizes you to work in any kind of salaried job you choose, up to a limit of 60% of the legally permitted number of working hours.
• Students who obtain a job related to their academic program can avail a compensation of atleast € 14.42 and may enter fulltime employment by filing a request for change of status from student to employee.
• At the end of your studies, you can also be recruited by a company even if you are not an EU national.
• If you have an aim to come back to India and start your own career here , then your French degree will allow you to avail a circulation visa to France and Europe for 5 years, which will be extended throughout your life.
FINANCIAL AID AND GRANTS
The Franch government funds approximately 22,000 students each year. Most of the aid is administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.